These are women to watch in 2018.
Jaimee Fourlis (Ranking: 324) 18 year old Jaimee Fourlis will be a player to watch on the WTA tour. Fourlis has an athletic build and is a big striker of the ball. She has had good junior success and is ready to make her breakthrough on the pro stage. She has a wildcard into the Australian Open and will most likely be seen in the lead up tournaments as well.
Destanee Aiava (153) 17 year old Aiava of Australia is also set to gain ground in 2018. She won the Wildcard playoff in Australia so she is into the year’s first grand slam. Aiava has a good athletic build and hits the ball very strong off the ground; she has easy power. In 2017 she defeated Bethanie Mattek Sands.
3) Wozniacki. Expect more winning and more consistency from Wozniacki. By the end of 2017, Wozniacki was looking to be the most “solid” of the players with her movement, her returning, and her backhand looking the most consistent.
4) Bundle Group – Look for Svitolina, Ostapenko, and Garcia to continue their winning ways. Svitolina has the best “all around game” of the top 10 women. If Ostapenko is “hot” then she can beat any player by just hitting winner after winner. Look for Garcia to have more wins especially against players like Wozniacki and Halep. Garcia is striking her groundstrokes very cleanly and her swing volley as well as her aggressive play is strong!
5) Ashleigh Barty. World #17 Ashleigh Barty is extremely dangerous. She is a very talented and athletic player. If she is playing well I expect her to produce upsets and work her way close to the top 10.
6) NOT Kerber. I think players have figured out how to beat Kerber and she has lost some of her confidence.
7) Maria Sharapova. Expect Sharapova to continue her climb up the rankings. Sharapova has an extremely strong competitive spirit combined with some of the other players. You will see various players give up once they start losing, but Sharapova will continue to fight for the whole match. She has the heart of a champion.
8) Naomi Osaka of Japan. Osaka is a huge striker of the ball. Expect her to do more winning in 2018 and work her way up the rankings more.
9) Beatriz Haddad Maia of Brazil. She is very solid and clearly has more of a clay court style game. She is lefty and is very consistent. I expect her to continue her winning ways and to climb the rankings.
10) Sabalenka of Belarus. The 19 year old World #73 is like a young Sharapova. She is a grunter and a big striker of the ball off of both wings. I expect her to win more matches (as long as keeps her on straight)
Also, assuming they are healthy, If Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka come back for the full season then they have good chances of dominating the tour. They will face opposition from players like Pliskova or Venus or Sharapova. But when they are playing well, Serena and Azarenka are extremely hard for the other women to beat.
Let me know if you agree or disagree. Or just let me know what players you think are the ones to watch in 2018.
-End of Post, DJ ROBO BISCUIT